Finnair introduces the new piece concept baggage allowance from October 26, 2008. The new piece concept allowance (2 x 23 kg) on flights to/from USA and Canada is valid for the tickets issued on October 26, 2008 or after. For tickets issued on October 25, 2008 or before, the previous piece concept allowance (2 x 32 kg) still applies.
New baggage allowance for PC concept:
- Business and Economy class: two bags each of dimensions not exceeding a total of 158 cm/62 in. (length + width + height) and each of weight not exceeding 23 kg/50 lb.
- Infants: one bag not exceeding a total of 115 cm/46 in. and weight of 10 kg/22 lb. plus one folding stroller or pushchair.
The following articles may be considered as a piece of 135 cm/53 in. irrespective of their actual dimension: sleeping bag, a rucksack, skis (one pair of skis, ski poles and ski boots), golf bag (golf clubs, shoes), a duffel-type of bag, a suitably packed bicycle, a pair of water skis or one slalom water ski, fishing equipment. Any portable musical instrument not exceeding 100 cm/39 in. in length shall be considered as one piece of 100 cm/39 in. Passengers shall contact the airline for advance arrangements for the transportation of baggage over 203 cm (80 in.) or 32 kg (70 lb.). Excess baggage charge: In the piece concept the excess charges shall be collected whenever the weight of one piece or the number of pieces exceeds the baggage allowance.
- Excess charges on North Atlantic flights:
– each additional piece in excess of baggage allowance: 1 charge
– each piece in excess of 23 kg (50 lb.) but not more than 32 kg (70 lb.): 1 charge
– each piece in excess of 32 kg (70 lb.) but not more than 45 kg (99 lb.): 3 charges
– each additional 10 kg (42 lb.) in excess of 45 kg (99 lb.) or fraction thereof: 1 charge
– each piece in excess of the dimensions up to 203 cm (80 in.): 1 charge
– each piece in excess of number and dimensions up to 203 cm (80 in.): 2 charges
– each piece in excess of the dimensions over 203 cm (80 in.): 3 charges
– special baggage items in excess of the dimensions over 203 cm (80 in.) or 32 kg (70 lb.): 3 charges
- The value of one charge between Finland and North America v.v. is USD 90/USD 110 depending on the origin or destination in North America.